Meditation for Beginners: Starting a Daily Meditation Practice
Do you want to improve your quality of life? Meditation is one way to do that. Meditation has a number of benefits, including stress reduction and increased focus. Meditation also helps with pain management and improves the immune system. Meditation for Beginners: A Guide to Starting a Daily Meditation Practice will teach you everything you need to know about meditation, from what it is all about, how long it takes for results, and the different types of meditations available!
What is meditation?
Meditation appears in many different cultures and philosophies as a practice to clear the mind and focus. Meditation is not just about sitting cross-legged with your eyes closed, it's also an opportunity for self exploration and discovery.
It is simply the act of focusing on one thing for a set period of time. Meditation is about forgetting everything else that's going on and just concentrating on the present moment, even if it's only for ten minutes at a time.
What are the different forms of meditation?
There are many different forms of meditation, including:
- Mindfulness Meditation
- Transcendental Meditation
- Zen Meditation
The form of meditation you choose depends on your goals. For example, if you just want to be more mindful and aware then a mindfulness or seated mediation may suit your needs best. If emotional stability is an issue for you, transcendental meditation might be the better. It's often helpful to experiment with different forms of meditation to find the one that works best for you.
What are the benefits of meditation?
Almost any amount of meditation can be beneficial. Meditation has the power to help you:
- Clear your mind and relieve stress
- Improve focus
- Enhance self awareness
- Find inner peace and happiness. Meditation can also be a tool for healing mental health issues like anxiety, depression or PTSD. Meditation helps people learn how to distance themselves from stressful thoughts and emotions without being overwhelmed. Meditation can also help strengthen your immune system, improve your memory and make you feel more focused. Meditation is great for anyone who feels like they need to take a step back and reevaluate their life.
How do I start Meditating?
It can be difficult to get started with meditation because there isn't always an obvious point where you know when your mind has calmed. Meditation is a practice, so it helps to be patient and do it as often as you can. As you look into different forms of meditation, you'll see many different practices, but here's a basic way to start:
- Sit in a comfortable position with your back straight, and focus on the sound of your breathing.
- You may close your eyes or leave them open, whichever you find more relaxing. Meditation is about being fully aware of what's happening right now so if closing your eyes helps keep track make sure to use them for that purpose only.
- Start with five minutes and build up to ten, fifteen or even thirty. Meditation doesn't have to be complicated; it's about focusing on the present moment in whatever way feels best for you.
When you start small, you build habits that can change your life. The benefits of meditation are endless and everyone deserves a chance at them!
How much time do I need to meditate?
We're firm believers in the saying "every minute counts". Even small increments of meditation can be beneficial. Meditation is worth doing even if it's only for a few minutes. Keep in mind that it is better to do something for a short period of time than not at all.
How long does it take to see results from meditation?
You can start seeing results such as relaxation from meditation as soon as you start, but many of the benefits take consistent practice to achieve. Meditation is something that builds up over time, so the more consistent your practice becomes, the better results you will see in general. Meditation can be a lifelong practice and even experienced practitioners will have moments when they are more focused and grounded than others. Meditation is a process, not an end result that you can achieve in one or two sessions.
If you have more questions about meditation and mindfulness, let us know in the comments below. We're happy to help and share our experience in any way we can.
For products that help you become more mindful and grounded, check out our Chakra Bracelet.